Early College Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to take Early College Program classes?

In order to take Early College Program courses a student must have a 3.0 high school GPA and be 16 years old or have completed half of their high school graduation requirements. For students who do not meet this creiteria, special permission from a high school counselor or principle is required.

What courses are offered at my high school?

View ECP classes and the corresponding Course Reference Numbers (CRN) by going to www.isu.edu and clicking the Quick Links tab and chose class schedule. Choose the term and click the Submit button. Select the subject(s) and high school campuses and click class search. Note: To choose more than one subject at a time, hold the control key while clicking on the various subjects. For example, if you want to search for an English and a history class, scroll down to English, hold the Ctrl key and click English then scroll to history and click it. Students must already be registered in the high school course designated with the dual credit option to be allowed to take it for college credit.

Where can I attend classes?

In addition to the classes offered in high schools in the region, students may take classes on an ISU Campus, via the web or video-conferencing. Contact the Early College Program Office for information.

How do I register for an Early College Program class?

Before a student can register for dual credit courses, they must complete the application process and receive a username and password. To register for classes, follow the Register for ECP Classes steps on our website at earlycollege.isu.edu.

What are the differences between the Early College Program (ECP) and the Advanced Placement Program (AP)?

Idaho State University's Early College Program offers classes to high school students for both high school and college credit also reffered to as dual credit courses. Students participating in dual credit course receive college credit for specific courses offered at their high school. Students may also take classes on an ISU campus. Dual credit provides the student with an Idaho State University transcript with an actual letter grade for the course based on work completed during the duration of the class. Students can request that their transcript be sent to the college or university of their choice. It is recommended that students contact the college/university of their choice to discuss transferability.

The Advanced Placement Program provides college credit based on performance on a cumulative exam administered in May. For exam scores of 3, 4 or 5, some universities award credit or waive a specific course. For some courses with labs, the lecture portion of the course is all a college can accept. For AP courses, no course grade or transcript is generated. Test scores must be sent from the College Board to the college or university of your choice. Students must check with their counselor about paying the fee or taking the exam. for additional information on how ISU accepts AP exams, plesae visit the registrar's website.

What other alternative credit opportunities does ISU offer?

In addition to dual credit and AP exam credit students can also received college credit through college level examination programs (CLEP), challenge examination, military service, study abroad, etc. For additional information on alternative credit opportunities please visit the registrar's website.

Can I enroll in a Dual Credit course and also take the AP test exam?

Yes. Once the course is completed, students are to request that their ISU transcript be sent to whatever school or schools they are interested in attending (other than ISU). The ISU course will already be on your ISU transcript if you attend here.

The student who chooses to take the AP exam as well should have their scores sent to those same schools for review. Coursework with letter grades takes precedence over passing AP scores for the same course. You do not end up with double the credit hours: If your U.S. history course is worth 3 credits and you earn a 3 on an AP exam (also worth 3 credits), the total posted is three credit hours. If your AP score is higher than the minimum, you may possibly earn additional credit hours. Different institutions of higher education may have differing policies about minimum scores required, etc.

Do I need permission to take Early College Program classes?

Yes. You will need your parent's or guardian's permission to take an early college class if you are under age eighteen. Your parent or guardian must sign the High School Verification-Parent/Guardian Permission Document. The form must also contain the signature of a high school official indicating they are eligible to participate in the program. The form is to be submitted to the Early College Program Office to complete your application. You may want to make a copy for your records. This document grants permission for the student to take dual credit courses as long as they are still enrolled in high school and eligible to take classes. Parents of students under eighteen must notify ISU if they wish to withdraw their permission. The Permission form is to be submitted once for each student during their Early College Participation.

Do I have to register online?

Yes, use your username and password for classes taught in the high school and University Health High School (UHHS) web courses.

May I register late?

No, students must register by the appropriate deadline for the their courses.

If I am taking dual credit through another college or university or taking an AP class at a high school not served by ISU and I move to a high school served by Idaho State, can I register late and earn credit for the course?

No, a student cannot transfer from a non-ISU dual credit course to an ISU dual credit course during the same term. Too many differences in a course syllabus are bound to exist. If a student starts in an AP course and transfers to a dual credit course offered through ISU and tied to an AP course, the student will need to plan on taking the AP exam rather than switching from the AP option to dual credit.

How much will a course cost?

All qualified high school students receive a partial fee waiver from ISU. Reduced course fees differ depending upon the delivery method and number of credits awarded for the course. Some courses, such as biological science courses, also have a laboratory fee. Students must pay lab fees and purchase textbooks and other materials needed for courses held on the college campus, via the web or video-conferencing.

Course Fees for 2015-2016 Academic Year
Courses taught on high school campuses $65.00/credit
ISU on-campus $290.00/credit + applicable fees
Regular part-time fees (less than 10 credits) $339.00/credit + applicable fees


When do I need to pay for my College Credits?

Students who register for college credits via video-conferencing, web-based or on-campus courses must pay their reduced fees by the first day of the ISU term. Students who take classes on their high school campus must pay by the following:

Fall semester or year-long classes in high schools: October 10
First trimester classes in high schools: October 10
Second trimester classes in high schools: December 19
Spring semester classes in high schools: February 13
Third trimester classes in high schools: March 20

How can I pay for my College Credits?

ISU accepts cash, checks (made payable to ISU), electronic check/transfer, money orders, or credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, or Diners Club). Note: payments made using a credit or debit card will incur an additional 2.75% convenience fee. Using a credit/debit card to pay fees will only be allowed online via BengalWeb. Please indicate your name and ISU ID number on the check and mail with completed and signed registration form.

What is meant by a credit hour?

Colleges and universities measure academic work by the credit hour. Credits are also referred to as semester credits or semester hours. One credit is defined to require fifty minutes in a class weekly for one semester. Credits for college courses will range from one to five hours. Your college education will include a certain number of general education (goal, core, etc) credit hours, along with elective hours and a sufficient number of required courses for the major you eventually choose. At ISU, bachelor degree plans consist of a minimum of 128 credit hours of coursework. ISU offers mainly general education (goal courses) for dual credit along with limited elective credits in high schools.

Am I eligible for federal financial grants or loans as an Early College student?

Dual credit students do not qualify for financial aid because the federal government requires students to have received a high school diploma or its equivalent to be eligible for federal grants or loans.

Are scholarships available for Early College students?

In some districts, either a district foundation or a community organization may set up a scholarship for dual credit students in their local high school(s). You may check with your dual credit teacher, high school counselor, or the Early College Program staff to learn more. You may also check the Scholarship link on the Early College web site. The scholarships are generally set up for dual credit-eligible students with financial need, instead of having eligibility based strictly on academic excellence.

Can I get a loan to pay for my College Credits?

If your tuition bill exceeds $300 for the term, you may request payment on an Installment Plan which replaces the Fee Loan program. This option is available only for the term in which you are enrolling, and only if you have paid all outstanding fees from previous terms.

The plan allows you to pay your bill in 3 or 4 payments (depending how early you enroll). There is a $30 enrollment fee, and a 25% down payment is required when you sign up. The entire bill must be paid by November 1st for the fall semester and April 1st for the spring semester.

To enroll in the payment plan, logon to BengalWeb, and click the Finances Tab. Click "Enroll in Payment Plan" in the Onlie Fee Payment channel. Once you are in the CashNet system, find the Installment Payment Plans channel and click on the payment plan you prefer: 3 payments or 4. Be sure to follow the remainder of the instructions and read the terms before you finish your transaction.

What if I change my mind after registering for Dual Credit Courses?

If you decide not to take a class for ISU credit you will need to drop it inBengalWeb before the payment deadline. You will be obligated to pay the tuition if you do not drop the class by the deadline. If you register and pay for a course and choose to withdraw after the payment deadline, you must log onto BengalWeb and withdraw by the posted date. Deadlines are strictly enforced and high school and collegiate registrations are separate.

NOTE: Failure to withdraw through BengalWeb will mean you remain registered at the university for the course; should you not complete the course, a failing grade will be posted to your permanent college transcript. You will still be responsible for paying the cost of the course.

Can I get a refund?

No refunds are given for reduced-fee registration.

What is my status at ISU when I register for dual credit?

You are an officially registered, non-degree-seeking Early College student of Idaho State University when you are enrolled in a dual credit course. You are subject to ISU regulations including those for plagiarism, academic honesty, code of conduct, registration, tuition payment and withdrawal deadlines. To become a degree-seeking student, you must apply for undergraduate admission, preferably before February 15 of your senior year. Applicants must pay the application fee; submit official high school transcripts and your ACT or SAT scores by February 15 to be considered for freshman scholarships. When you attend college after high school graduation, you will be a First-Time Freshman. Dual credits do not make you a transfer student.

How do I obtain a Bengal Card?

Once your fees are paid, go to the informatio desk in the Student Union Building on the Pocatello campus (208) 282-3618 or the Bennion Student Union building on the Idaho Falls campus (208) 282-7811. You will need to bring your student ID number and a photo ID. You may also email a photo of yourself and your student ID number to photoid@isu.edu to obtain a Bengal card without visiting the campus. Your Bengal card must be presented to receive privileges.

What are my ISU student privileges as an Early College student?

High school students who are paying reduced fees are eligible for use of the library, access to tutors in University Tutoring (282-3662 in Pocatello/282-7925 in Idaho Falls), check cashing, limited ASISU activities and free movies on the Pocatello campus (guests $2). Student rates at the Craft Shop, games area, Outdoor Program and Wilderness Rental Center are also available. An additional fee per ISU term for the use of the Student Recreation Center on the Pocatello campus is required. Contact Campus Recreation at 282-4854 for information.

Is my student information private?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) grants privacy rights to any student enrolled in a college-level course even if they are not yet eighteen years old. Please refer to the Student Rights and Privacy link on the Early College Program website under Current Students. ISU shall obtain written consent from students before disclosing any non-directory information from their educational records. The list of directory information can be found in the FERPA link. Students wishing to restrict release of that information should submit a Non-Disclosure Declaration.

What about Grades?

Students who register for dual credit courses receive both high school and college credit for each course. The instructor will complete grades for the high school and college transcripts. The ISU grading system consist of the following options: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D- or F. Other options are I for incomplete (converts automatically to an F after one year if a grade change is not submitted) and W (Withdrawal). Visit MyISU in the Current Student section at www.isu.edu to check grades. Any questions about final grades should be resolved as soon as possible. Check with the instructor to answer your questions. Due to departmental grading scale guidelines, your high school and college grade for a course may be different.

What if I am unable to finish a class?

To withdraw from an ECP course, you MUST logon to BengalWeb and withdraw from the class by the deadline. Please follow the directions for a withdrawal on the web registration site. You will be dropped from the course and a "W" (withdraw) will be posted to your ISU transcript. A "W" does not count toward your GPA. There is no tuition refund for withdrawn courses.

What if I transfer out of my high school class?

If you transfer out of the high school class where you have registered for college credit, your withdrawal is not automatic. You need to contact the Early College Program office to initial your withdrawal. Your name will be on the ISU grade sheet and your final grade will reflect how many of the course objectives you had met when you left the class. After the regular withdrawal deadline is passed, the only option is to submit a petition for the late withdrawal. We cannot guarantee that a late withdrawal petition will be approved by the Department Chair and Dean. Having earned a low grade to date is not a justifiable reason for having a late W petition approved. Reminder: Withdrawals and low grades may impact your eligibility for financial aid when you enter college full-time.

What is the deadline for withdrawing from a class?

For full-term, on-campus, distance learning and web:
Fall term 10/28/2011
Spring term 3/16/2012

Classes held on high school campus:
Fall Semester - 12/14/2011
Full-Year - 04/25/2012
First Trimester - 10/21/2011
Second Trimester - 01/25/2012
Spring Semester - 04/25/2012
Third Trimester - 04/25/2012

If I want to attend ISU on a fulltime, degree-seeking basis after high school graduation, what do I need to do?

You will need to make sure all admissions items including the application for admission, application fee, official high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores are submitted to the ISU Office of Admissions. Go to apply.isu.edu to submit your application on-line. Please submit all information and your application fee by FEBRUARY 15 of your senior year if you wish to be considered for academic scholarships. Mailing address: ISU Admissions, 921 S 8th Avenue, Stop 8270, Pocatello ID 83209-8270

Will dual credits earned be accepted at other universities and colleges?

Credits are transferable to Idaho colleges and universities and most other institutions outside the state. A limited number of institutions do not accept college credits earned on a high school campus or classes taken for both high school and college credit. Students are responsible for checking with an admissions counselor at a college where they plan to enroll after high school graduation to see if their dual credits will be accepted. We recommend that you retain the syllabus for the course, include the course description (available on the web site at www.isu.edu) and save major class assignments if you have to meet with someone at your intended college or university concerning their decision.

How do I obtain transcripts to send to another college or university?

Once you know your grades have been recorded, go to transcripts.isu.edu and follow the instructions. Official transcripts cost $5 each. You may print an unofficial transcript or check your grades by logging onto BengalWeb with your username and password. Select registration history then academic transcript. Once a student registers for a college class, it is a requirement that their transcript be sent to any potential college destinations, even if the only grade is a withdrawal.

How do I arrange a campus tour?

We invite prospective students to visit the campus and have a student ambassador show you around, meet with faculty, and participate in other activities. Please call Recruitment Services at (208) 282-2122 or submit a request at www.isu.edu/enroll/visitisu.shtml.

What is ISU's accreditation information?

Idaho State University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The University is accredited or approved for specific programs by a number of organizations. Please refer to the current catalog for a list of the various commissions and associations.

When do I need placement scores?

Students must have passing placement scores (COMPASS, ACT o r SAT) if they enroll in math and/or English courses. Check with your instructors or the ECP office concerning the required scores for specific classes. Scores must be submitted to the Registrar's Office and added to your record before web registration can take place for the class. Home School students must submit either ACT or SAT scores or take the English or Math COMPASS tests in lieu of a high school transcript. Scores will evaluated to determine the students eligibility for the Early College Program.